Inclusion Workshop W-4
Inclusion Coaching: Strategies, Interventions, Collaborations and Supports
Grade Levels: K-12
Length: Multiple Day Inclusion Coaching Sessions
Inclusion interventions honor the belief that all students are capable of achieving their highest potential. The general education classroom must be organized in a way that invites this to happen. This includes implementing principles like RTI, differentiated instruction, understanding by design, universal design for learning, multiple intelligences, multisensory approaches, peer mentoring, and cooperative learning. Included with these coaching sessions is how educators walk the legislative talk with the appropriate strategies and interventions. The idea of inclusion is a wonderful one, but the reality requires that instruction continually connect to each student’s unique needs. Study guide for yearlong professional learning experiences and communication/consultation with staff via webinars and email is offered. These inclusion classroom coaching sessions allow general and special educators to share student/inclusion needs, communicate co-teaching concerns, apply strategies and interventions, evaluate effectiveness, and outline future plans.
- Kick off/introduce the inclusion plans (whole staff meeting).
- Survey the teachers regarding their student needs, inclusion, and co teaching responsibilities.
- Distribute professional resources.
- Observe elementary, middle school, and/or high school inclusion classrooms to offer feedback.
- Collaborative planning sessions with individual teachers and teams-with options for in person coaching and professional webinars.
- Evaluate plans and share further recommendations (whole staff meeting).
K-12 educators and co-teaching teams.