Toby J. Karten, a consummate educator who has instructed learners in the field of special education since 1976, is a strong advocate for highlighting students’ strengths with research-based inclusion strategies. Her diversified experience includes being a staff developer, mentor, resource and inclusion teacher, an adjunct professor, author, inclusion coach, and international consultant for populations of learners ranging from preschool to adult levels.
Ms. Karten’s continuing passion is for educators to prepare students to enter inclusive societies as productive adults. The collaborative and informal presentation style she exudes in her interactive and insightful workshops, coaching sessions, and keynote presentations have reached audiences of administrators, teacher educators, pre service teachers, general and special education teachers, paraprofessionals, and families who walk away renewed with spirited inclusion strategies that help them become self-regulated life long learners. Ultimately, Ms. Karten would like everyone to view inclusion as a way of life in schools and beyond!
Professional Accomplishments and Recognitions
- Designed in-person and online graduate courses entitled Skills and Strategies for Inclusion and disABILITY Awareness, Dyslexia and Other Reading Differences, ADHD, LD, and the Spectrum and has trained scores of instructors across the country.
- Adjunct Professor at The College of New Jersey and La Salle University.
- Professor at Monmouth University and Drew University from 2008-2017.
- Has been recognized by both the Council for Exceptional Children and the New Jersey Department of Education as an exemplary educator, receiving two “Teacher of the Year” awards.
- Has been invited to speak at local, state, national, and international staff development workshops and conferences.
- Her best selling publications and teacher resources highlight sensitivities and proactive inclusion strategies that correlate students’ abilities with the skills and curriculum knowledge they need.