Toby J. Karten
Toby J. Karten, a consummate educator who has instructed learners in the field of special education since 1976, is a strong advocate for highlighting students’ strengths with research-based inclusion strategies. Her diversified experience includes being a staff developer, mentor, resource and inclusion teacher, an adjunct professor, author, math coach, and international consultant for populations of learners ranging from kindergarten to adult levels.
Ms. Karten’s continuing passion is for educators to prepare students to enter inclusive societies as productive adults. The collaborative and informal presentation style she exudes in her interactive and insightful workshops, coaching sessions, and keynote presentations have reached audiences of administrators, teacher educators, pre service teachers, general and special education teachers, paraprofessionals, and families who walk away renewed with spirited inclusion strategies that help them become self-regulated life long learners. Ultimately, Ms. Karten would like everyone to view inclusion as a way of life in schools and beyond!
Professional Accomplishments and Recognitions
- Designed a graduate course entitled Skills and Strategies for Inclusion and disABILITY Awareness and
has trained scores of instructors in three states with the syllabus.
- Is an adjunct professor with Monmouth University, The College of New Jersey, Drew University, Gratz College, and Washington College.
- Has been recognized by both the Council for Exceptional Children and the New Jersey Department of Education as
an exemplary educator, receiving two “Teacher of the Year” awards.
- Has been invited to speak at local, state, national, and international staff development workshops and conferences.
- Her best selling publications and teacher resources highlight sensitivities and proactive inclusion strategies that correlate students’ abilities with the skills and curriculum knowledge they need.
Download Toby J. Karten's Full Profile